What canI do if my ex is using a joint line of credit after our divorce?

UPDATED: Aug 30, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 30, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What canI do if my ex is using a joint line of credit after our divorce?

I recently found out my ex-husband is using a $500 line of credit that we had jointly. It was paid off at the time the divorce was final and was supposed to be closed at my request to the bank (verbally). The bank said that I can not close the debt account because my name is not on the checking account. My ex refuses to close the account, pay it off or even stop using it. What can I do here?

Asked on August 30, 2011 Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your former spouse is using a jpoint line of credit post your divorce and your are obligated upon it, you need to write the credit company a letter advsing that the account needs to be immediately frozen and terminated for future use stating the reasons. keep a copy of the letter for future reference.

You then need to address the use of the account with your former spuse and figure out a way how he or she is going to make sure you are not obligated on it for charges you did not make post separation.

If you filed a petition to dissolve your marriage in the superior court of the county and state where you reside, you might consider filing another motion with the court addressing the current problem with the joint line of credit seeking an order from the court that protects your interests if your former spouse will not cooperate in resolving this issue with you.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption