How do I go about tracking down and investigating debts that are showing on my credit report?

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I go about tracking down and investigating debts that are showing on my credit report?

All contact information is invalid that I am finding and is listed with collection company’s information.

Asked on August 4, 2011 Minnesota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You first start with what is stated in your credit report as to any judgments or unpaid bills. If there are judgments against you that are unsatisfied, go online with the county where the judgments are supposedly entered against you to get more information about the action and if unable to get it go down to the court house and personally review the court file. These files are public records.

As to alleged unpaid bills, get the name, address and relephone number of the claimed creditor and make a telephone call. Speak with someone with accounts receivables about what is claimed owed against you asking for copies of documentation supporting the claimed debt be sent to you.

If you do not receive this requested information from the supposed crediotrs, contact the credit reporting agency to see if it can provide you with the requested information on unpaid debt and contact information for the creditors.

Another option is to retain a credit repair company to assist you in cleaning up your credit report. There are companies that clean up one's credit. These companies have easier access to the contact information than most individuals have.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption