Cousin lives overseas but wants to immigrate he is a non citizen, mother is naturalized

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Cousin lives overseas but wants to immigrate he is a non citizen, mother is naturalized

My cousin would like to come here on a visa
either tourist or immigrant and once he gets
here, he wants to apply for a green card. He
was going to apply for a green card by being
sponsored by his mom, who is a naturalized
citizen. Can he do that? And if he can, how
long is the process?

Asked on September 20, 2018 under Immigration Law, Illinois


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, a naturalized parent can petition for her/his child.  Depending on how old the child is, the process may take about a year (if  under 21) or several years if the child is over 21 and/or married, etc.  If you would like additional information specific to your case or need assistance with this matter, please feel free to contact me directly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption