Immigration Exceptions?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Immigration Exceptions?

I am a 46 year old green card holder who immigrated from the UK 40 years ago. I married a U.S. citizen 19 years ago. My cousin happens to be more of a brother/father figure to me due my dad’s and mines non-existent relationship and he is having a really tough time back in the UK since his mom’s passing. He desperately want to immigrate here to the U.S. The only reason that he hasn’t attempted in the past was because of his mom’s health. He sees the US as what it is… the land of opportunity, the land of the free, the home of the brave. Basically, a place for him to build his new life while being close to us, his family. The unfortunate thing is I believe that we cannot help/sponsor him because he is only a cousin. Do you happen to know if there are exceptions

to this rule or if there is a way to write a letter for some sort of special


Asked on September 19, 2018 under Immigration Law, Iowa


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, there are no exceptions to the family relationship because only certain relatives are eligible to be petitioned by US citizens.  However, there are other ways to immigrate to the US, such as through business creation, employment, study, etc.  If you would like to explore some other ways of coming to the US for your cousin, it would be a good idea to contact an immigration attorney to discuss the various options and feasibility of those options.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption