Can the police become involved in a child visitation matter?

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can the police become involved in a child visitation matter?

My son’s father came to my house the other day with 2 uniformed officers wanting to get my son for the day. We have a verbal agreement that he gets him every other weekend but nothing written on paper nor any court order. I felt that the officers where not right in doing this. Was it legal? My son’s father is always telling me, he “knows” people in the police department.

Asked on January 3, 2012 under Family Law, Georgia


Stephanie Squires / SquiresLegal Services

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Was it legal for police officers to accompany your sons' father to your house?  Yes, often law enforcement will "keep the peace" between parents.  Did they tell you that they were there to make sure you let your son go with his father?  That may not have been proper as there is no order to enforce.  There is a fine line between keeping the peace and enforcing orders.  Police officers can not enforce visitation unless there is a court order.  If you feel that they acted improperly you can complain to their superior, however, I would suggest that you do so in writing, carefully explaining what happened, and explaining that your son's father knows people in the department who are now stepping over the line as a favor to him.  If they were out of line and doing him a favor then there could be serious consequences for those officers.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption