What rights do the courts haveif the content between divorce forms and verbal expanations differ?

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What rights do the courts haveif the content between divorce forms and verbal expanations differ?

My father has filed a divorce request (I’m not sure if that’s right) against my mother. In the forms, he wrote he would not give any type of spousal support, child care support, or compensation for that matter. Instead he “promises” us he will be responsible for these duties via telephone. I barely remember him keeping a single promise during the past 8 years. He resides in CA while my mother, my sister and I stay in Korea. I understand your policy states you do not answer hypothetical or vague questions but could I at least please ask which content the court can apply rights on?

Asked on January 3, 2012 under Family Law, California


EMMANUEL SOCKS / Socks Law Associates, PLLC

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The best course is to seek an attorney to represent your mother before it is too late. Your mother should not sign an agreement that does not make you father responsible for payment of child support. Once a decree is entered as final by the court, that is what the system will go by, any oral side agreements are not enforceable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption