Can the city change our current address?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can the city change our current address?

We have lived at the same address for
ten years. We received notice in the
mail from city planning to move our
mailbox. the local post office advised
us not to put it where they now want us
to move it to, since it would be
dangerous for the mail carrier to stop

My husband suggested the house next to
use just change their house number.
They moved here about 18 mnths ago.
They have the same house number we do
but a different street name. We live on
a corner lot.

The next letter we received advised us
the city planner had changed our
address with the USPS and had also
notified the city and county offices.

Is this legal? It will take us days and
days of calls and paperwork. We would
have to re do everything. Ten years is
a long time. I have four different
checking accounts and ironically just
bought two boxes of new checks.

We have farmland in Kansas. We have a
man that farms it for us. I own it with
my sister and sister in law. It is
currently for sale but still actively
being farmed.

All of the government paperwork
involved in owning a farm would have to
be resubmmitted.

Also the paperwork we had notarized to
start the sale of the farmland.

Will we be able to vote in November? We
think this may have something to do
with how we voted during the primary.

Please help. This is so sad. Something
is going on.
Thank you.

Eileen Warner

912.882.5960 Home
912.684.0980 Mobile

Asked on July 4, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Yes, the fact is that the city can change your address. While inconvienent, it is perfectly within its rights to do so, especially for safety reasons. As for your right to vote, under the circumstances you may still be able to do so since, while this is techincally a change of address, it is not an actual move. However, you'll need to check with the registsr of voters to be sure.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption