Can I do anything to not pay this penalty on my property tax which was applied in Feb.but they never told me.?

UPDATED: Mar 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 16, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I do anything to not pay this penalty on my property tax which was applied in Feb.but they never told me.?

The Denton Cty Tax office is charging me a $400 property tax penalty and never told me when I made the 1st payment this year that I couldn’t make 4 payments. I am over 65, but this is a rental. Why didn’t they tell me it was due with the first payment of this year? They will not remove the penalty. They even took my payments in 2011 in 4 payments. Can I do anything? Tax is due by 3-30-12. Patty H.

Asked on March 16, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You can go down in person to your country tax assessor and speak with an individual about possibly having the penalty that you are writing about possibly reduced or elimiated where you can make payments on the assessment on a quarterly basis.

However, if the tax assessor is unwilling to accomodate you, there really is not much that you can do about your situation other than make the payments when you can.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption