Canany apartment complex management refuse to renew a tenant’s lease?

UPDATED: Oct 18, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Canany apartment complex management refuse to renew a tenant’s lease?

I am a senior citizen (72 years of age) and my property manager has told me my lease will not be renewed by them at the end of the lease on 12/26/10. Are they obligated to pay me a relocation allowance? I have always paid rent on time and have done nothing to deserve this inconvenience.

Asked on October 18, 2010 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

As a general matter, a landlord is free to decide to not renew a tenant's lease, as long as the lease itself doesn't contain some terms governing renewal. You can check to see if  your municality has any rules about a tenant's right to renew--most don't, but a few do. I don't think there is a statewide law requiring that tenants be allowed to renew in CA, and there certainly is no national law.

If you think you are being discrminated against on account of you age--i.e. other tenants in similar situations but who are younger than you are not being told they can't renew--you may have an age discrimination in housing claim.

However, barring the above, the landlord can elect to not renew, and he does not owe you any relocation allowance. Whether or not you deserve the inconvenience is besides the point--it is the landlord's property.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption