Can I be told I’m hired then fired based on incomplete information?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be told I’m hired then fired based on incomplete information?

New Link Destination
sum it up, I was told by an H.R. person that I passed my background and was hired. So I quit my job but 5 days later they told me that they can’t offer me

employment because of my background. Is that legal?

Asked on March 21, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It is legal, because employment in this country is "employment at will," which means that an employer can rescind a job offer, or terminate an already hired employee (including a just hired employee) at any time, for any reason not specifically prohibited by law. Unfortunately, there is no legal protection for having a criminal record, even a misdemeanor record, so they could elect to not hire you for this reason, even after having previously indicated that they would hire you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption