If I co-sign an auto loan for my 23 year old son and he has an injury type accident while driving, can I be sued?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I co-sign an auto loan for my 23 year old son and he has an injury type accident while driving, can I be sued?

Asked on October 4, 2013 under Accident Law, Arizona


Gregory Abbott / Consumer Law Northwest

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Absent something unusual in the loan papers, if your son defaults on paying the loan you can be sued.  It's the whole point of having you co-sign and it does not matter why your son defaults, accident or for any other reason.

Tricia Dwyer / Tricia Dwyer Esq & Associates PLLC

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Hello. You should ask your auto insurer about this and she/he can point you to the clauses in your insurance documents governing this. Otherwise, turn to an attorney licensed in your state for guidance. Some attorneys are available seven days for emergency legal needs. Many attorneys will speak initially at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys will provide a reduced fee for financial hardship. Some attorneys may also assist you in a limited scope manner to conserve legal costs. All the best.



Tricia Dwyer, Esq & Associates PLLC

Phone: 612-296-9666

365 Days of the Year until 8 p.m. daily



Minnesota Law Firm





IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption