Can my X drag me into a legal war over a house we rented together?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my X drag me into a legal war over a house we rented together?

My ex and I signed a lease together. Roaches scared her away and she is suing the landlord. I want to sublet the househer lawyer is saying I can’t stop her but I will be responsible for the losses?.. I got upset and now he says he won’t communicate with me.

Asked on October 4, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You are not responsible for your ex's losses, unless you actually caused them in some way, which does not appear to be the case. A person is only responsible for another's losses if they contractually agreed to cover them/be responsible for them, or if they caused them. However, since you signed the lease, you are responsible for the rent; if the rent is not paid and the landlord sues for it, you could be held liable for it. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption