What do I need to do to take care of a 3rd degree assault charge?

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I need to do to take care of a 3rd degree assault charge?

I am not able to afford an attorney and the paperwork says one will be given but I may still have to pay something. Should I just pay the fine or go to trial? Or should I ask for 6 month supervision and not get in trouble? This is in MO; I am from IL and 18 . There were 2 counts of this 3rd degree assault misdemeanor. I was held 15 hours before friends bonded me out at $500 total. It is 170 miles back to the county of the charges.

Asked on August 6, 2011 Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have been arrested for a criminal charge and you are only 18 years of age, it is best for you to receive legal representation from a competent criminal defense attorney, either private defense or a public defender.

At your age, the last thing that you want is a criminal convicition on your record in that it could impede your ability for higher education as well as gainful employment. Additionally, spending time in jail if that is part of the sentence for any conviction is not a very good experience.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption