Can my license be takendue toa judgement by default?

UPDATED: Sep 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my license be takendue toa judgement by default?

I just found out that I was sued 4 years ago regarding a car accident from 3 years prior. I was the only passenger out of 6 left after hours of waiting for the police and a report. That is the only way I can think of them getting my information.There were tickets that were thrown out since I was not driving. I wasn’t aware of any proceedings after that so there was a judgement by default for medical expenses in the amount of $38,000. I have talked to the state department of transportation and the opposing lawyer. They say my only option is to start paying them to regain my driving privileges. Everyone is telling me to file for bankruptcy.

Asked on September 11, 2011 under Accident Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In many states in this country if there is a resulting judgment arising out of a motor vehicle accident that does not get satisfied, certain department of motor vehicles of these states will suspend the driver's license of the person who has that judgment against him or her until it is paid in full.

This apparently is the protocol in the state of Pennsylvania.

If there was a default judgment against you for $38,000 four (4) years ago stemming from this accident, there is a small chance that you can set it aside. If you cannot pay off this judgment any time soon and your liabilities currently exceed your assets, a bankruptcy filing might be your sole option to resolve this situation.

You should consult with a bankruptcy attorney about the $38,000 judgment and your options.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption