can my husband take my house

UPDATED: Oct 16, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 16, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can my husband take my house


Asked on October 16, 2017 under Family Law, Missouri


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Go and pay for advice from a divorce attorney in your area.  Just a consultation.  You can call your local bar association and ask if they have a referral service.  Here is the issue: the general rule is that property purchased during the marriage is marital regardless of whose name it is in.  Also, money earned during the marriage is marital so if you purchase the house with marital money while you are still married he could make a claim.  In many states filing for divorce cuts off all monetary ties.  In some states that it not true.  So you need to go and ask a lawyer in your area what the rules are in Missouri.  You may also want to consider borrowing the down payment after you file.  The money you earned these last 6 years is partially marital.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption