Can my husband apply for a work permit without a green card?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my husband apply for a work permit without a green card?

We just got married on Monday. We are in the process of saving the money to get
him a green card. Until this happens can he apply for a work permit? If so which
forms do we fill out and what category would he apply for a work permit under?
The extra income will come in handy to obtain the green card.

Also if there is a free legal immigration lawyers office you can recommend to us
in Palatine , Il it would be great

Asked on July 21, 2017 under Immigration Law, Illinois


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No , there is no basis to obtain an employment authorization document without first applying for adjustment of status to obtain a green card.  You can wait until you have all the money for the lawyer and the USCIS filing fees to file or you can try to see if you can do it on your own or get another attorney who might charge you less.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption