Can my former employer cancel my direct deposit in order to force me to go back to work so he can harass me?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my former employer cancel my direct deposit in order to force me to go back to work so he can harass me?

I quit my job after a heated argument with my former boss. That ended in him
leaving me nasty voicemails and text messages and me not returning to work. I felt
that it was a hostile environment and that me continuing to work there would cause
more arguments.

After I quit, he cancelled my regular direct deposit check. Saying that I have to come
in if I want my money. Is that legal? He is only doing this in order to pick a fight with

Asked on June 29, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The law requires him to pay you your final paycheck(s), but it does not specify how he has to pay them. More generally, the law does not require direct deposit, or prevent an employer from discontinuing direct deposit. So unfortunately yes: he can do this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption