Unpaid wages, what are our options?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Unpaid wages, what are our options?

My husband has been working for a temp agency since last October. Something happened with the direct deposit, and he has not been paid now since the end of Feb. We have tried dealing with them directly, and tried contacting their home office, but still no pay has been made, and he is still working there. Not only have they not paid him for wages due, but are still not paying him for current hours.What can we do?

Asked on June 29, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

1) First, contact your state labor department: they enforce the wage and hour laws, and they may well look into this and take action on your husband's behalf. If they do, it will be free to you, which is why contacting them is your first step--why not get free help if you can?
2) If they can't help you, then your husband could sue for the money. He would sue based on "breach of contract": violation of the agreement, even if only an oral or unwritten one, pursuant to which he agreed to work in exchange for being paid a certain hourly wage. To win the case, he'd have to show what his wage was (paystubs can do this) and that he worked certain days/hours (he can use witness testimony, including his and yours, and time cards/sheets).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption