Can my employer legally terminate me if I choose to not work past my scheduled shift?

UPDATED: Sep 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer legally terminate me if I choose to not work past my scheduled shift?

For example, I am scheduled til 9 pm but I am forced to stay until 10 pm because they threatened termination even after I had done all of my work.

Asked on September 9, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Since most likely you are an "at will" employee for your employer, he or she can legally terminate you if you refuse to work past your shceduled shift IF you were advised well beforehand (several days before) that there is a chance that you would have to work additional time on a particular day and you did not have a good reason for refusing to do so.

If you ended up working more than 8 hours on that day, you are entitled to over time for the excess over the 8 hours under the laws of all states in this country.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption