Can my employer force me to change work position?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer force me to change work position?

I work for a furniture repair shop. It has a sewing department and a warehouse shop
department. I was originally hired as I applied to be a Sewer/Seamstress which is
my skill and trade. 2 months later they said they wanted to teach someone in-house
how to cut the fabric in the sewing department. I decided to learn so I took on
cutting fabric and was still sewing. Now I am noticing that I am sewing less.
Just recently I was told that they want me to be the fabric cutter and start doing
inventory also. This is going taking me away from my trade. I really dont want to
change trades.

Asked on July 12, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Unless you have a written employment contract specifiying or guarantying your position, yes, your employer can force you to change positions. When there is no written contract, all employment is "employment at will": that means that employer has 100% control over employee's jobs, and can change, define, transfer, etc. those jobs at will, regardless of what the employee wants.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption