Can a non-U.S. resident take me to circuit court regarding unemployment?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a non-U.S. resident take me to circuit court regarding unemployment?

My former employer is a Canadian resident and owns a store here in the U.S.. I left my

job and am now receiving unemployment benefits. He has filed an appeal to my

unemployment and I am just wondering if he could take me to circuit court being that he is not a resident of the U.S.?

Asked on December 27, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Non-citizens have access to our courts so long as the court has jurisdiction, or power, over the case. However, since jurisdication is generally based on where the defendant (that is, you) resides and/or on where the complained-of act (the payments) occured, and that would be in the U.S., he could bring the action in a U.S. court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption