Can my boss change my schedule last minute and fire me for a no show?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my boss change my schedule last minute and fire me for a no show?

Monday night I worked my shift I got off at 2 pm and went home, I scheduled a doctor’s appointment for my pregnancy Sean I had the day off and it was the 4th time I’ve had to re-do it because of work. at my doctor’s appointment I got a call saying I was a

Asked on April 18, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Oklahoma


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Scheduled days off can be changed at the discretion of an employer. That having been said, if you had PTO (i.e. vacation days or sick time) to cover your absence, then you cannot be penalized for doing so. Otherwise, unless you had protection under the terms of an employment contract or union agreement to the contrary, you could be fired for  being a "no show". In fact, absent some form of legally actionable discrimination, you could be fired for any reason or no reason at all, with or without notice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption