Can insurance adjusters show my medical records to someone in their office?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can insurance adjusters show my medical records to someone in their office?

The adjuster got my medical records, then got a second opinion from a nurse in his facility about a miscarriage due to their policy holder during a accident. Were they allowed to show my records

to anyone else besides who I sent them to?

Asked on March 22, 2019 under Personal Injury, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, they can. You sent the adjustor the records for a specific purpose--to evaluate your injury or claim. They are allowed to show those records to other persons in their office/organization with useful or relevant knowledge or experience, so long as the do so for the purpose for which the records were provided. Sending an organization records does not limit their review to only the one specific person to whom you sent them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption