Can I terminate my lease early if I am not safe in the property?

UPDATED: May 29, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I terminate my lease early if I am not safe in the property?

A 9 mm was fired into my apartment in the middle of the night. It came through the window, through my tv and into the wall on the other side of the room. Is this grounds to terminate my lease as I am obviously not safe living there.

Asked on May 29, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Although it is hard to specify what grounds to terminate you release are available to you without seeing the specific lease in question often times part of the lease provides for a safe environment or a feeling of safeness although many do not so again I would have to see the actual lease.

However this sounds serious and you should begin by speaking with the landlord to explain the situation. If the landlord understands where you are coming from you will be able o proceed without any unnecessary hassles. If not I advise speaking with a local landlord tenant attorney because this does not seem to be an issue you can ignore. The attorney may be able to spek to the landlord and handle the matter otherwise they can advise you of the other options available to you once they review the terms of the lease

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption