What to do if I signed a quote for a shipment from Panama to Miami for $6000 but when it arrived they had invoiced me for $13,000?

UPDATED: Apr 20, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 20, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I signed a quote for a shipment from Panama to Miami for $6000 but when it arrived they had invoiced me for $13,000?

The quote included everything that was going in the shipment, my truck, trailer and household goods. They claimed everything would not fit in one container and that was the reason for the increase. I sent everything there in one 40′ container – I believe they are taking advantage of me. The shipment has now cleared customs in Miami and the receiving shipping company won’t release it to me because the shipper in Panama is owed money. I offered to make payments but they refused to accept. I am retired and on a fixed income and do not have any way to raise $13,000. Everything I own is on that shipment.

Asked on April 20, 2013 under Business Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

There re two types of quotes: binding and non binding.  One would have to see the paperwork you have in your possession.      Many things can vary as to the shipment estimate like the weight of the cargo container.  If the weight was estimated to be one tonnage and the actual weight is heavier then you can have a discrepancy.  I would go and find a legal services agency that can help you here.  And possibly contact the State attorney general for help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption