If I won a small claims judgement against someone, can I take them back to court in order to get their bank account number?

UPDATED: May 19, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 19, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I won a small claims judgement against someone, can I take them back to court in order to get their bank account number?

It’s been close to a year now and they keep telling me that they are going to have the money on a certain date, however when that date comes I never see it. I need to know what all I can do to be able to get them back into court to get the money without having to get a lawyer to do it for me.

Asked on May 19, 2014 under Business Law, Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking, the law allows for a judgement creditor to serve an informational subpoena and allows a creditor to take the deposition of the debtor for such purposes.  These laws vary from state to state.  I would file your judgement in the County Clerk and look in to garnishing wages.  Sometimes to can serve a restraining order on banks around where the party lives (one is likely to bank close to home or work) in the hopes of finding an account.  Speak with the clerk of the Small Claims Court and ask about any informational pamphlets or try your local bar association as well.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption