can I sue the pharmacy

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can I sue the pharmacy

Hello I recently went to a pharmacy to get a prescription filled and the girl
whom filled it was friends with a female whom is stalking me and she gave her my
new address. I reported her to the manager and they now know about it, but
because she gave the girl my address the girl ended up coming to my apartment and
hitting me with her car and leaving the scene. I wanted to know is there anyway I
can sue the pharmacy for what their employee did?

Asked on July 16, 2016 under Personal Injury, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, you cannot sue the pharmacy. An employer is liable for what its employees do *in the course of their employment*--for example, if a pizza delivery guy drives carelessly and hits you, the pizza place can be liable, because driving to deliver pizza is his job. But giving out customer information is definitely *not* part of the pharmacy worker's job; the pharmacy is not liable or responsible when someone goes so far outside the boundaries of their job, especially if it is criminal (as it evidently was, since she was arrested), as committing crimes is not why people are hired.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption