I Tore my acl stepping In a hole in my front yard that the city dug and never filled. Am I able to sue the city over this?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I Tore my acl stepping In a hole in my front yard that the city dug and never filled. Am I able to sue the city over this?

There is a hole in our front yard next
to the curb where my wife and I park
one of our cars. One day someone was
parked in our normal spot so we had to
park a little further back where a hole
was dug by the city without any notice.
Well, I stepped out of the car into
this hole and basically hyper extended
my knee. I went to the dr after this
happened and found out when I stepped
into this hole I New Link Destination
re my acl and my
lateral and medial meniscus. Am I able
to sue the city overy damages? I’m
unable to work with my knee like this
due to the fact that I work manual
labor and surgery is needed. What are
my next steps?

Asked on July 20, 2016 under Personal Injury, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It is very difficult to sue governmental entities as they are immune from tort liability.  Personally injury suits are generally considered tort actions.  You can hire an attorney to pursue a personal injury claim, just know that you're going to have an uphill battle with the immunity clause.  A non-legal option is to contact the city counsel and request to attend the next counsel meeting and complain about the injuries to see what can be accomplished.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption