Can I sue my roommates for unpaid utility bills?

UPDATED: Oct 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 27, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue my roommates for unpaid utility bills?

I have contacted them both several times and I have text messages stating that they will pay their half of the bill. All of our names were on the lease for the house.

Asked on October 27, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If all of the roommate's names were on the lease for the home that you were renting, was the rent equally split? If so, then it makes sense that the utility bills for the rental were equally split as well.

If you have text messages from the roommates stating that they would pay the unpaid utility bills for the rental but have not, you should write them stating that a check is due by a certain date to be sent to the utility companies.

If not received by that date, your option is to pay the bills yourself and then sue the roommates for what you advanced in small claims court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption