How can I be sure to get the full payment for current and future vet bills regarding a dog attack?

UPDATED: Oct 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 27, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I be sure to get the full payment for current and future vet bills regarding a dog attack?

2 dogs broke into my yard and attacked my dog. Owner says they will pay but I am not sure what future bills will come from this. How can I protect my dogs health and my pocket book later to be sure they do not back out of paying?

Asked on October 27, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The best way to protect your pocket book with respect for payments by the neighbor for the veterinarian bills that you incurred for your pet that was attacked is to have a written agreement drafted and signed/dated by your neighbor agreeing to pay for all bills associated with your dog as the result of the attack upon him or her.

You will need to be specific as to the date of the incident, the charges to date from the stated veterinarian and the fact that there could be more charges in the future.

Make sure that you and the neighbor both sign the agreement and each keep a copy of it for future need.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption