Can I sue my hair braider for bad work if my braids did not last as long as guaranteed?

UPDATED: Sep 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue my hair braider for bad work if my braids did not last as long as guaranteed?

I got my hair braided. Asked the braider all the pertinent questions about swimming and washing my hair and she said the braids would stay in and from experience and verbal confirmation they should last 2 – 3 months. The first braid slipped out in 2 weeks. More followed within the month, most while I was out of town. Came back and asked for half my money back. They offered to fix it free but I am not willing to let them touch my hair. Do I have grounds to sue them?

Asked on September 13, 2011 under General Practice, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

IF there was an actual guaranty, whose existence and terms you can prove--and not just some unenforceable expectation about their longevity--then you might have a cause of action; note however that if you had already committed to having the work done before you asked how long they would work (i.e. the braiding had started), then anything said is likely not enforceable.

Proving an oral or verbal guaranty can be difficult. The most you could sue for would be the cost of the braiding--you can't sue for more compensation than the actual loss or injury you incurred. And lawsuits, even in small claims court, have short, it is almost impossible to imagine that even if there were a guaranty, that it would be worth the time, cost, and effort of suing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption