Can I sue for alimony 2 yrs after divorce in tx?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue for alimony 2 yrs after divorce in tx?

TX? Was married for 33 yrs with no clue
about divorce proceedings. I didnt know
I needed a lawyer to get alimony.I live
in poverty. I cant afford to move out of
his family house which is falling
apart.I have a disability that keeps me
from working other than watching my
grandchildren. Is there anything I can

Asked on July 27, 2019 under Family Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, once you are divorced and the marriage has already been disolved or terminated, you can not sue later for alimony: under several legal doctrines, such as the "entire controversy" doctrine, you have to bring up all issues (i.e. including alimony) connected to a single set of facts (i.e. your marriage) in a single legal case (i.e. your divorce case). If you failu to do so, you are barred from later bringing up those issues. Not understanding divorce proceedings earlier is irrelevant; you could have consulted with or retained an attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption