Rights as married women who is in abusive relationship

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Rights as married women who is in abusive relationship

I am in a toxic marriage and my husband is forcing me out of our rental home. He is demanding that my daughter and I leave and our 3 children stay. I don’t know what my rights are and need to know. I have been a stay-at-home mom for years and I have no where to go.

Asked on July 26, 2019 under Family Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

He has no legal right to force you out of the marital home (where you and he lived as spouses) unless a court order to that effect is issued in the course of, say, a divorce action. So you do not have to leave; he is free to leave and live elsewhere if he does not want to live with you, but he can't make you go. To understand your rights more generally--e.g. what you might get in a divorce--consult with a family law attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption