Can I recoup wages regading double time that was not paid?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I recoup wages regading double time that was not paid?

I currently work for a company but I am in a union but the union is not helpful in these situations; I’m planning on leaving both of them in the coming months. My contract states that I should be getting paid double time after 10 hours Monday- Saturday, and double time on any Sunday call. I tried to put this on my timecard once and was told. I don’t remember anybody getting paid double time. I’m worried that if I press the issue I will be fired. Once I leave the company I was hoping to get paid back on those hours that I would have gotten double time, which is a significant amount because I work a lot.

Asked on November 13, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Contracts are enforceable. If your employment was pursuant to (that is, governed by or under) a contract requiring that you get double time in certain circumstances, you could sue for the money the company owes you under the contract. You could sue after your employment has ended, so long as less than two years have gone by since you did the work for which you should have been paid more, but were not.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption