I have a contract with employer, would leaving due to health issued constitute

UPDATED: Nov 13, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 13, 2018Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I have a contract with employer, would leaving due to health issued constitute

I am a teacher. In my contract, there is a clause regarding early termination. It says that if I terminate it before it ends without just cause, then I pay 10% of the contract in

Asked on November 13, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Because exactly what is "just cause" is not defined--i.e. the contract doesn't list the specific things that are or would be just cause--we cannot 100% say that the health issues you describe would be "just cause," but assuming there is any medical link (e.g. a doctor's opinion) that the job is detrimental to your health, it is highly likely that you would have just cause to terminate your employment. The key is, you need something from a doctor linking the job to the strokes or to some other health detriment (e.g. high blood pressure).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption