Can i get more money for my totaled car?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can i get more money for my totaled car?

My insurance company only paid 8,226 for
my car that they found to be a total loss.
Which is not what I have found to be a fair
market value. I owed 15.911 and I had total
loss GAP insurance through the dealership
that covered the remaining balance. I was not
at fault for the accident. I have a police report
showing the other driver was at fault. I am
seeking 1500 to go towards another vehicle
so I can continue to make it to my job

Asked on August 16, 2016 under Accident Law, Mississippi


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If the property damage has been settled, which means that you received payment and signed a release of your claim, nothing can be done.
If the property damage has NOT been settled, which means that you did NOT sign a release of your claim and did NOT accept payment, then your only recourse is to reject the settlement offer and file a lawsuit for negligence against the at-fault party to try to obtain additional compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption