if I was in a hit and run but only have liability coverage, am I responsible for all repair cost?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

if I was in a hit and run but only have liability coverage, am I responsible for all repair cost?

I was in a hit and run accident. The other driver was at fault and kept going.My insurance says since I only have liability and not collision, that I’m not covered for anything- since it’s the other driver’s fault, it’s their responsibility. Do I have any options or am I on the hook out of pocket to have my car repaired?

Asked on August 16, 2016 under Accident Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You did not buy the kind of insurance that would cover you here (collision). Therefore, unless you can find and sue the other driver, you are, as you put, "on the hook out of pocket" to pay for all your repairs and any other costs (e.g. renting a car while your car is being repaired). This why people buy collisions coverage--for exactly this type of situation, as well as for single car accidents.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption