Can I file a claim for unlawful eviction and destruction of property?

UPDATED: Aug 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I file a claim for unlawful eviction and destruction of property?

I want to know if I have a case. I was living with my boyfriend and his friend for the past 6 months so I established residency. One day his friend threatened me with physical assault and kicked me out along with my 4 year old daughter. I was not allowed back into the house to pack my things. All of my things were rummaged through, broken and stolen.

Asked on August 20, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You definitely have a claim here. Even if you didn't have a formal lease, since you were invited onto the premises and were a long-term guest, you should have been afforded the same rights as a tenant. Namely, you should have been given  a minimum of 30 days notice to move. Since you weren't given such anotice, you can sue for unlawful eviction. Additionally, you can file a separate suit and sue for the value of the property that was destroyed/damaged/stolen. You could possibly even file a criminal compliant regarding your personal property.

However, you will need to document as much as you can regarding a list of your property and their value. Photographs and/or witnesses would also be quite helpful.

At this point, you should consult with at attorney in your area or at least contact a tenant's rights organization.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption