Can I fight a possesion of marijuana charge?

UPDATED: Aug 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 16, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I fight a possesion of marijuana charge?

The police officers went through my bag. I was caught shoplifting a pair of pants that I needed for a new job. I did not have money to buy new pants. I had a pill bottle with under a gram of marijuana- mostly shake. I also had a pipe. They did not write me for a paraphernalia charge. My summons just says 18.2-250.1 possesion of marijuana. Also, it is my second offense for shoplifting. They did not have me sign my summons either. What is going to happen to me?

Asked on August 16, 2012 under Criminal Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country you have the right to fight all criminal matters filed against yourself. Given the criminal situation that you are in, I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney to give you advice as to how to try and resolve the situation you are in.

You need to appear at the first appearance per the summons you received in court. Failure to do so will result in the issuance of a bench warrant against you. At the first appearance you will be arraigned where the criminal charge(s) against you will be read and you will be instructed to enter a plea of guilty, not guilty or no contest.

There the court will set the matter for a settlement conference and trial if you plead not guilty. If convicted, you will most likely be fined and spend some time in jail. As such, it is imperative to consult with a criminal defense attorney about your matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption