Can I change the outcome of an eviction in court?

UPDATED: Dec 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 5, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I change the outcome of an eviction in court?

I have to go to an eviction hearing tomorrow but I have recently (3 weeks ago) acquired a substantially well paying job. If I can provide proof in court of being able to pay past due rent amount within a reasonable amount of time will that change anything delay eviction?

Asked on December 5, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Here is the issue. It is not like a mortgage, wherein you can seek a modification of your loan because you have a security interest in the property. Here you do not have a security or ownership interest in the space you rent. While the court looks highly upon being able to pay back rent, you should address this with your landlord first and see if your landlord is willing to drop the case. This is going to be pretty much the only way to avoid eviction. When you go to court, the court cannot really force a landlord to keep you in the apartment if you are really behind on your rent because the landlord has a right to protect his interest in his own property. You might be able to negotiate a little extension but the best approach is to talk with your landlord.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption