CanI be evicted after buying a mobile home from a person who still owes the lot landlord money?

UPDATED: Aug 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

CanI be evicted after buying a mobile home from a person who still owes the lot landlord money?

 About 2 months ago I bought a trailer (mobile home) from a guy. The trailer is in a trailer park. The park owner was the one who put me in touch with the trailer owner. At the time the guy that I bought tor trailer from owed the park owner $1000. He now owes $500 but refuses to pay and says he doesn’t owe any more. The park owner is trying to evict us. So far we received notice yesterday to vacate in 30 days. The park owner took our payment for the last 2 months but returned our money for this month.

Asked on August 5, 2011 Louisiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

When you bought the mobile home from the owner, did you also assume the lease for the mobile home at the trailer park or did you enter into a brand new lease with the mobile park? If you entered into a brand new lease with the mobile home that you bought, you are only obligated to the mobile home park for your agreement and not the prior agreement of the former owner.

If your agreement with the former owner included assuming the lease for the mobile home and any unpaid rent, then you are obligated for unpaid rent owed the mobile home park.

If the park owner took your payment for the past two months but then returned the payments made this month, it seems that you have your own separate agreement to rent with your landlord independent of the former owner's.

You should consult with a landlord tenant attorney about this situation.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption