What are my rights if I was terminated due to improper use of my company credit card?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I was terminated due to improper use of my company credit card?

In the policy is states that’s for balances greater than 90 days, accountability in the form of a write-up up to termination would occur. Since I was never written up, can I take action against the company for wrongful termination? New Link Destination
add, I personally was paying the balance, not asking the company to do so.

Asked on January 8, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You write that the policy requires a write up, but such policies generally only state what the company usually or typically does: unless they were in an actual written employment contract between you and the company, such a policy is not typically legally enforceable. That is especially so there is any kind of an employment manual or handbook stating that all employment is employment at will and nothing changes that fact (since employment at will means that employees have no rights to work and can be terminated at any time, for any reason). It is most likely the case that you can be terminated for this reason and would not have legal recourse.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption