Can I be charged for a crime i did not commit ?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be charged for a crime i did not commit ?

My friend took the rental car without my permission. He was later charged with
multiple offenses involving the car. They need my permision to search the car.
However, I am afraid that they will find anything in the car and charge me
instead of my friend. What are my options. How can I avoid being prosecuted for
a crime and incident i had no involvement in.

Asked on October 18, 2017 under Criminal Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can't be charged unless there is evidence that *you* were the one who committed (or at least assisted with the crime): you are not resonsible for another person's crime. If whatever they find points to you, then, yes, you coult potentially be charged--but only if the evidence does point to you as the perpetrator.
You are not going to be able to stop them from searching the car forever: for example, they could get a search warrant, if necessary. You may wish to cooperate, though if you are worried about anything in particular (i.e. you fear there is evidence against you), retain a defense attorney first and follow his/her advice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption