Can I be arrested at someone else’s’ home and charged with the owner’s crime?

UPDATED: Nov 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be arrested at someone else’s’ home and charged with the owner’s crime?

I was arrested at a friend’s home. The police didn’t have a warrant or probable cause. They entered the house unannounced. Another person and myself were arrested and charged with possession of drugs and firearms. We were sent away to jail before they searched the house. Once we made it we were not fingerprinted or photographed just taken to a cell.

Asked on November 9, 2011 under Criminal Law, Mississippi


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, if a person is at the wrong place at the wrong time, he or she can be arested for a crime that he or she did not do. Since you were arrested for a crime, you should consult with a criminal defense attorney about the situation and how best to try and get the charges dismissed as to you.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption