Can I appeal EDD wage garnishments?

UPDATED: Aug 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I appeal EDD wage garnishments?

I was issued an overpayment and appealed it. The “witness” lied in court, which I was not allowed to be in, and even being caught in the lie the judge still sited with them. I was told I had 20 days to appeal it again. I contacted the courts and EDD about sending me the proper paper work so I could appeal it. They finally sent it to me after the 20 days. I had been calling them every week asking for the paperwork. They told me I had to wait. Now, as of yesterday my employer was served wage garnishment paperwork. I don’t know what to do now.

Asked on August 18, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that given the situation that you are now in with resoect to the EDD wage garnishment matter and the overpayment issue that you have written about that you consult with an attorney that practices in the area of consumer law to help you.

You seem to be in a difficult spot since you failed to file an appeal within the twenty (20) day time period that you have written about. Seeking legal counsel seems your best course of action at this time for advice as to how to try and rectify the situation you are now in.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption