Can employers take money out of your paycheck with out written consent in Cal.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can employers take money out of your paycheck with out written consent in Cal.

My boss started docking money
out of my check a while ago. I
just found out on the labor
board website that it’s
illegal to do so with out
consent. What can I do? I’ve
confronted him and his boss
and nothing is being done. Do
I have any recourse?

Asked on January 17, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

As you stated in CA, it is illegal to make paycheck deductions without an employee's consent, for other than taxes, child/spousal support, etc. If your employer is making illegal deductions, then you can file a wage complaint with the Dept. of Industrial Relations and/or sue your employer in small claims court for all amounts due you (just be ready to submit proof of your claim). What you could also do is to consult with an employment law attorney, many times getting a letter on a lawyer's letterhead can work wonders.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption