If someone is not on a mortgage or deed, how do they get reimbursed for money that they put into the property?

UPDATED: Jan 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If someone is not on a mortgage or deed, how do they get reimbursed for money that they put into the property?

My girlfriend put up the money for a downpayment on a house, her credit score was not high enough and the loan was taken out in her ex-boyfriend’s name, with his parents as co-signers. After trouble with the law, he was immediately removed from the deed by his parents. They now refuse to put my girlfriend on the deed claiming her credit rating is not high enough. She has paid the full mortgage/taxes/insurance against the house most of the time, fully believing she would own the house. We want the money back that she put into the house for the payments, repairs, etc.

Asked on January 11, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Wisconsin


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your former girlfriend advanced money for someone's purchase of a home as a loan and she has not been paid back as well as made many other payments for the home, she should do the following:

1. draft a letter setting forth the need for her to be paid back her loan starting on a certain date sent to the people who owe her the money. She needs to keep a copy of the letter for future use and need. She also needs to get the documents in order that she may have showing that she made the loan.

2. if she gets no response to her demand for repayment, or the response is unacceptable, she should consult with a real estate attorney regarding the need to file a lawsuit for the money advanced as a loan.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption