Can an employer change your wage without telling you?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an employer change your wage without telling you?

I was recently switched from salary to hourly without being told in person. My employer emailed me the information knowing that I don’t get the emails. We had several face to face meetings after the email was sent and nothing was said. I went into a 2 week break thinking that I was going to be paid only to find out that I was not. Is this legal?

Asked on January 1, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Going forward, the employer may change your wage at any time, from the moment of notice onward. They may not retroactively change it; the change is only effective from when notice is provided. But "provided" is not the same thing as "received": if this was an email address you provided to them (i.e. it is your email), then if they sent notice to it, that notice would be legally effective, even if you  did not receive or view it, unless when they sent it they received an email system notice that this message was not received (e.g. rejected by your server). If they *know* that *this* message was not received, they have to provide alternate notice; but if from their point of view, it seemed to go through to an address you had provided, that is adequate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption