Can a tenant refuse the landlord entrance into their rental house even with a 24 hour notice?

UPDATED: Oct 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a tenant refuse the landlord entrance into their rental house even with a 24 hour notice?

A tenant has given a 30 day notice to vacate property. The landlord wants to show the property to prospective future renters, giving the tenant 24 hour notice. Can the tenant refuse the landlord’s request to show the property?

Asked on October 21, 2011 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Under California law, a landlord has every right to enter a tenant's rental for a legitimate reason such as to make repairs, show the property for rental or resale or to do maintenance. In California, reasonable notice for entry is typically twenty-four (24) hour notice.

The tenant whose unit is sought to have admittance into can refuse entry for a realistic purpose but there needs to be alternate dates for entry. If the tenant simply refuses entry to the landlord after a reasonable request by the landlord, the failure by the tenant to allow entry can be deemed a breach of  the lease as well as a statutory violation. I suggest that the tenant attempt to accomodate the landlord's request for entry.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption