Can a person sell a home if someone else on the deed won’t allow it?

UPDATED: Jul 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a person sell a home if someone else on the deed won’t allow it?

Person “A” purchased a home 25 years ago. Person “B” has their name on the deed. Person “A” is the only person who has ever paid the mortgage. Person “B” has not paid one cent of the mortgage. Person “A” now wants to sell the home, but person “B” will not allow the sale. Is there any way around this problem. Dad bought the home and put daughter on the deed. dad now wants to sell the home but daughter will not allow the sale, thinking when dad passes away, she automatically gets the home. How can dad sell the home without the approval of the daughter. There has to be a loop hole.

Asked on July 9, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

No, she has to sign the contract and the deed or there has to be a court order directing the sale.  Now, Dad should go and see ana ttorney about what is called an action for "partition" of the home, which asks the court to split an asset in two to divide it equally.  A house can not be divided equally so it is generally ordered sold and the proceeds split.  Now, if Dad does not want to split the proceeds then he has to come up with a creative way to off set daughter's amount.  That would be what ever he paid for the maintenance, upkeep, taxes, etc. over the 25 years that daughter did not pay.  The mortgage is not an issue if it was only in Dad's name but ask anyway.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption